Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hasta la Vista, baby

Is this how the lookouts on the Titanic felt? I have read this article over several times, and I can only describe my reaction as shocked. I knew Microsoft didn't care about the little guys, but I really didn't expect this:
Under changes to Microsoft's licensing terms, buyers of retail copies of Vista will be able to transfer their software to a new machine only once. If they want to move their software a second time, they will have to buy a new copy of the operating system.
Why on earth would Microsoft do this? It is not going to cut down on piracy, it will simply further alienate the power user market. While it may improve earnings in the short term, I believe it will accelerate adoption of Mac OS X and Linux.

If I was a Microsoft shareholder, I would be hopping mad.

Update -- November 2: Vista to allow "one significant" hardware upgrade.

2 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Michael Patrick Leahy said...

Rob,

Drop me an email. My address is mike@michaelpatrickleahy.com . Amy at King's Meadow is interested in our Christian Wikipedia concept. Through my business (www.gemteam.com) I can host and set up the wiki and web site for free... At least until it gets too big. Perhaps you and I can be the first to editors of Christianpedia.org !

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger gileskirk said...

Rob: I think Microsoft is simply assuming that OSX or Linux or Unix will not be real options for the broad-market user. They need a good lesson in the history of business! Many of the most dominant companies and all of the most dominant products lines from 50 years ago no long exist!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home